Sunday, July 16, 2006

Caregiving and receiving...............

When the patient makes an effort to give to the caregiver a gift of time or help in some way...........the caregiver must recognize and receive that gift with the relish and joy with which it was given.

My mother loves to fold clothes, peel the potatoes, stir the soup, boil the eggs and peel them also, sweep the floor and numerous other helpful things.  She is helping do her own breakfast, but she has gotten used to and enjoys me fixing it as she drinks that first cup of coffee.   She needs the stimulas and satisfaction of helping me.  I must remember this and thank her.

It is easy to accept Jack's help and express  my  joy in his growth in efforts to do more things.  He has always been my helpmate in all ways.

No mater the level of assistance, the patient needs to feel apart and not just a useless thing that is being taken care of.  Sometimes  Mom tells me over and over what she has done...........warning sign I haven't  recognized the effort.

Peace from our house in the plains to yours  wherever it might beeeeee...

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a good observation to have made; I'll have to remember that should I be in a caregiving situation

betty

Anonymous said...

All you say is very true.  We all need a thankyou. Rache