Friday, March 9, 2007

trees

Trees, I think I shall never see...............

The trees in this yard are elms and pecans mostly.  The mulberry was the one that was taken out and it was a messy tree. 

I would never recommend anyone planting pecans in their yard.  At the end of the harvest the ones still in the shells and the discards must be raked and cleaned up.   And interestingly enough people here won't even bend over and pick up pecans because it is work, and then you have to shell them to  be able to use the nutmeats!  Goodness that is work too! 

 The kids won't even steal them or use them as weapons to throw at each other!  Sometimes I wonder at the human mind........these people can't pay their bills, won't clean up their yards, won't take work  you offer, won't haul off scrap metal to make some money ( and the price for different kinds is quite high right now).

I guess that is why I am so amazed at the men working on the house.  They are a family business and all are polite and good workers.  I offered this job to people all around here, asked for estimates, etc., and all I got were promises, delays, and excuses.

Well hope I am as well satisfied when the job is over as I am now....lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a pecan nut tree, they're pretty expensive here.  Smiling at your Mum wanting to know everything.

It's a long job you've got but it will be worth it.  Hope your foot is on the mend. Rache

Anonymous said...

We had a huge old black walnut tree in the yard of our former home. I had to wear a helmet when mowing the lawn under it when walnuts were dropping. Sooo many would fall that even the squirrels were of no help. I tried harvesting one year, the work was unbelievable - never again. <grin>
Patrick