Tuesday, May 1, 2007

THE CEDAR CHEST

Recently we started cleaning out my aunt's home.  She passed several years ago...more than 5  and over the last several years on visits we did a litle but didn't even scratch the surface.

I have taken 8 large bags to the Angel's closet where they give clothing, etc.. away to those who have a need.  I have more bags of the same and furniture to also donate.............but somethings you have to keep.

One of the things mother wanted to keep was my aunt's cedar chest.    Because it was so heavy, I had to empty the contents in large trash bags and move the bags and the chest.  Big highschool boys are such good help.  Anyway I told Mother that I had done my part and the rest was hers.  I suggested that the home health aide who will be coming soon might be helpful.

Mother went into a decline............tired, whining, ill, the whole works..... and I am easy prey! 

Mother just could not handle the job..... so we emptied the bags and repacked the chest.   At least I know what it contains.  But the emotional contents was too much to handle.

There was the highschool letters embroidered on a doily with my aunt's graduation year.  Wedding gifts from her first marriage.  A beautiful lawn dress in white with hand drawn lace yoke and hem.  It might have been a wedding dress.......other garments and even baby clothes. 

My aunt didn't have any children and it took a while to make mother understand it was my cousin's baby clothes not his childrens'.  

 There were hand made lace table cloths.   Hand made bedspreads.  Lace pillow covers, place mats,  dishtowels, a multitude of old old items.

  I suggested a museum.   But mother wasn't ready for that yet... although I have a vacuum cleaner that is rare indeed, a wash stand that my aunt wanted me to have....but there is no place in this house.   I have oil lamps, box cameras, cigar boxes that are rare finds these days..........all of this is going to a museum.   What she doesn't know about will not worry her.

It took several years to prepare to leave California...a closet at a time I emptied and gave, threw, or donated items and then later did it all again until I was ready to pack things.  I moved my life and Jacks in 61 small boxes and five pieces of medical equipment.  The mostly small boxes included clothing, bedding,  everything in my life.  That really isn't very much stuff.

Why do we keep things?  We don't need items to REMEMBER a person.  If we do then we have missed something along the way.  Items bring back memories and have stories with them but who is there to listen?  My daughter loves old things but she doesn't want to use them...........they just lay in chests and  slowly deteriorate

I think it is evil to keep closets of  useful things when there are those who need bedding and clothing and we don't share....look at the ruined memories in that cedar chest.   Useful no more and opportunity lost to share.

The same way with dishes.  Mostly one of a kind with tiny chips and cracks and pretty to look at but useful no more.   And too pretty to toss and too useless to keep and you just dust and put away and let the next generation take care of it....NOOOOOO!

I don't want my daughter to have to work her way through the closets wondering why I kept a hundred blouses and tops with lost buttons, stains, and in general unwearable.  Gone is their usefulness and  gone is the opportunity to let anyone else enjoy them.

A local lady I had chatted with about denim outfits and where she got hers...etc.  Came to my house and brought me large trash bags of jeans and jackets  that have enough bling bling to be in top fashion.  I gave her a bit of money for her generousity and thoughtfulness.   But look at her clean closets and I love all the great denim outfits!

This is what I mean about sharing......I love the thought that she bought them with such care and selection and I tell her WE have such good taste.

Need to paint the driveway curb next to the house with yellow paint.............I get carried away with that yellow paint but Mother seems to see it well............Peace from Marigold Country Home!

 

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and my mom would get along great! Throw it out or give it away is her motto! She hates to have stuff sitting around unused. I am a pack rat and save everything, but I use most of it too! I use the good china, which is crystal in my case. I use the fancy wine glasses... I wear the vintage clothes. But I have tons of stuff whereas my mom could pack up all her stuff and move it in one day! To each his own.
Shadie

Anonymous said...

it is always hard to get rid of things :) have a good week

Deb

Anonymous said...

 I will have to be going through my MIL's home soon.  She has kept everything from the day she was married.  She kept her mothers things, she kept her sisters things, she kept my FIL's thing.  I am dreading it, just dreading it.  I am now starting to throw my things out also.  Clean my closet twice a year and toss, no more collecting.  Pictures all on disc's.  When my time comes I want it to be simple for my children.

                    Julie