Monday, September 24, 2007

ANGELS DO ABOUND!

Jack was a little uneasy the first few days home.  Because of sliding to the floor in the hospital twice and having to use a lift to get him into a chair, he was afraid this would happen at home.

The nurses had already confronted me with what will you do if this happens at home and I had an answer ready for them........the facility one block from me has big men, the fire department has been men, I can get help. BUT BOTH SITUATIONS could have been avoided if the nurses had listened to Jack and myself.  He asked for a chair incase he needed to sit between the bed and the place he was headed, I got the chair and they moved it saying oh you are doing fine...... The other was the case of a slippery robe that gave him no seat on the chair. 

Anyway, we were very cautious and didn't do the first bathroom and shower trips till Wednesday or Thursday.  The hospital didn't warn us about the dye he was given, the cement effects it could cause and the rash reaction.

So of course on Friday evening he developed a rash that kept him from sleeping and by Saturday was alarming me......I had reached the panic stage.  My daughter in California was giving me good advice but I was a bit handicapped with lack of knowledge, help, and support here at home.

One of those neighbors who checked on Mother came by and gave me the hospital emergency hot line with a nurse on the other end........her advice, go to the emergency room.  I called the hospital where Jack had been and they paged a pharmacy who gave me little or no assistance except see a doctor.  So I called the hospital back and they paged a cardiologist on duty.....Wow, he was so nice and supportive and gave me a prescription for the rash and said be at the cardiologist's office at 8 oclock on Monday morning!

I gave him the number of the only pharmacy that I knew would be open on Saturday afternoon in this country.  I decided to make the 35 mile run, it would take well over an hour and Jack and Mother would be alone.  So I got to the car, the previous neighbor  came back to check on what was happening and said his dad was at that pharmacy picking up a prescription today...........he called and the friend said he would bring the prescription and did I need anything else?

The friend brought the prescription and dinner from the hot deli of that store (Walmart) and I breathed a sigh of relief.

Well, it is almost 7 on Monday and we are on our way to Lawton, at least 45 minutes away to see if we can catch the cardiologist.... according to the one I talked to on Saturday.....be there before 8 and catch him...so be it!

Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think those angels were peering over your shoulder, what a lovely friend you have.  Hope Jack is more comfortable now. Rache