Friday, April 13, 2007

MEAL TIME

Meal time is an antidote for most ills....................

Tonight the rain is heavy and Mother is rushing from door to window giving a moment by moment report on what she sees which is sometimes different from what is ..since her vision is greatly impaired.

Finally I can stand no more..lol.. and I actually say Mother you are making me so nervous.  I will go to the barn and be sure the water is not coming in and see that the animals are all doing fine.........

That still didn't satisfy the weather beast within the soul of a farmer (Mother is still classified as a farmer).  SOOOOOOO

I decide it is time for supper ( a bit early but who notices..hee hee).  Mother says it has to be hot and  wants soup.   Ok, a can of chicken noodle soup is the thing.  Poured over cornbread not crackers.  She is happy.   She is calm.   And the weather reports slow down and finally stop!

The pain management doctor said that I should not be preparing something different for everyone for every meal.  Well, somedays you do.   Most days you don't for all meals.  The doctor said we should have a family meeting and vote! HA HA HA HA HAHA HA HA HA

Jack and I have more varied palates than my mother who will be 90 in October.  We like Mexican, Italian, Chinese, French, and a variety of sea foods.  Mother likes Oklahoma Country Cuisine.   She also has a limited number of teeth which means I prepare foods easily eaten or can be cut/chopped/or mashed so she can still enjoy the food as well as the texture.  

 I commented on the odor of foods in a nursing facility and was told, that as people get older they like stronger foods because the smell and taste abilities are changing.   I THINK THAT IS AN EXCUSE FOR BOILING CABBAGE!  yuck!  Glad we didn't have a family meeting and vote on cabbage.

Jack's diet has changed lately because he isn't eating some of the same foods and some of his favorites upset his stomach.  He wants bland foods and often has a small glass of milk.  Medications are doing a tough number on his body.

I am finding that I absolutely don't want anything that everyone else is eating.  By the time I cook, chop, mash, slice, and serve foods......they don't look very good!

Because I have trouble sleeping I tend to nibble in the night........this is very bad for a healthy diet, this is not designed for a slim body,  but it usually puts me to sleep!   I am not a big eater........but   eating at the wrong times is really not good.

MEAL TIMES usually calm, redirect thoughts and certainly motivates differentactions.  When it is over, the dishes rinsed and put in the dishwasher, all the left overs put away or fed to animals, counter tops washed off...and the kitchen restored to some order.........then the cook is  OUT!

Peace!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

:::is the daughter that made mother insane by telling her about her giant pork burrito::

Love you mom!!  Loved the burrito too!!

Anonymous said...

At my Grandma's house my cousins and I used to run from the front of the house to the back of the house whenever it rained because sometimes it would be raining at one side and not on the other! It was cool when we were kids... must have drove everyone crazy!
Shadie