Thursday, October 16, 2008

Sunshine in my window..............

The rain, clouds, and gloom have vanished and the sun brightens up the day.

I checked in on Mom this morning. They had gotten her up for breakfast since I usually arrive at that time. She is always more alert and responsive at that time of day. Today was discourging because Mom wouldn't even sip a bit of Resource and she didn't respond to my talking to her. It is always so selfish on our part to want the patient to acknowledge our greetings. Mom was rather aggitated and I think she wanted to talk but could not. I stayed and gave her hugs and kisses from Karla and I and talked to her. I have read that even though they do not respond they often KNOW we are there.

A friend went with me yesterday to check on her and the friend was surprised and really pleased to see that Mom looked so comfortable. Her eyes opened when we talked to her but she made no move to respond to us in any other way. She had had a bath and hair was blow dried, she had a couple of warm covers on her (Mom was cold all summer it seemed). The room was clean and there were no odors except a pleasant lite aroma of a disinfectant spray. The neighbor called my daughter and told her that her Granny was being well cared for. The head of nursing told me that were getting her up in the morning because that was when I came and they thought it was wise to get her up at least once in the day ,at least for now, if she was not too uncomfortable.

Tomorrow Mom will be 91 years young. She always seems younger to me. I will take a treat to the staff. Mom won't be celebrating but those who care for her deserve a special thank you for all of their efforts.

No comments: