Friday, January 19, 2007

CABIN FEVER

The weekend forcast isn't good, but it isn't the first time a weather man was wrong.  Rain/sleet/snow mix doesn't sound friendly!

Friends went out to shop last night and I sent $$$ to get two coleman rechargable lamps.  One has been loaned to us and having a couple would be wonderful in case this weather persists.  I tried on line and most were sold out, so hope they were lucky.

I used a shovel and hoe yesterday and cleaned off our sidewalk.  Didn't want snow on top of ice.   Hoped it would be finished by the time the Schwan's Truck came, sure was because the Schwan's Truck never made it by.  Maybe today!

We had a lot of melting yesterday but the melt just refreezes each night making slick black ice.  I tried to clear ice on paths that I travel everyday so hope it is safer today.  This has been a week now and I am getting tired of this cold. It makes for 'cabin fever'.

We had our first water problem last night.  We had become so accustomed to no problems in that area that it surprised us.  Found that there were of course breaks in the line.  We will be getting new water lines in the spring.  The town has a grant to put in some new lines and hydrants.  The line in front of our home will be the first one that is started.  That means it is the worst!

One of the highschool boys brought by some wooden boxes that I had asked him to make to hold Mother's sound equipment.  She had used regular cardboard boxes covered for years but they had begun to collapse ever once in a while sending records and things across her bedroom floor.  Now we can set it up and she can use it if she likes.  She had mentioned that she liked to listen to music in her room.  We will see what can be done.

I am becoming increasingly alarmed from time to time about my mother's bravery and judgment.  Noticing the cats doing a "what's going on" thing yesterday morning, I went around the house to find my mother skating across the ice to get the paper out of the box. EEEEEEKKKKKKKKK was my first reaction.  Boy did I give her a talking to. To put all of us in jeopardy because she was impatient with me for not going after the paper for her.  I have two patients here and if she broke something I could probably not take care of her and she would have to go to a .................................that was enough to scare the 'bejebbers' out of her I think.    The melt was so slick on Thursday morning I got the car out and drove around the house and took the paper out of the box and then put the car back in the garage.  I will continue to do that as long as the ice is unsafe.

None of us got enough sleep on Wednesday night.  Mother got up at 3:30.  I had been up a few minutes helping Jack with a problem.  She complained that she hadn't even shut her eyes all night.  I think she was basically hungry.  She had a slice of apple pie with milk, as the English do and went back to bed. 

We are warm, have lights, and water this morning at 3 am and I think it is time to go back to bed!  Things are OK at Marigold Country Home this morning. 

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must feel like a "frontier" caregiver! What happened to 'global warming' in Oklahoma?
Patrick    

Anonymous said...

I have to smile at your Mum, I know your heart would have been in your mouth but I do have to smile.  Cool music system she's going to have, she'll love that.  Don't know how you've coped with that trecherous weather and all the other problems it's caused.  You've definitely got a pioneer streak.  Rache