Tuesday, November 14, 2006

HOW DO YOU EAT AN ELEPHANT?

How do you eat an elephant?  One bite at a time!

I found this quote in an article about a lady that had undertaken a project and often became discouraged.  Her friend told her this to just remember each day.   Jack reminds me it is just one day, one hour, one minute at a time this walk we are taking.........but sometimes I wish to run and feel I have lead weights tied to my feet!

This is National "Caregivers" Month. ( http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2006/10/20061030-14.html)Why did it take 14 days for me to find this out.   I could have been celebrating for two weeks and now have to make up for it in the last two weeks!   I am going to bet that Patrick put this in his journal and I missed that entry for some reason.  He never misses anything so vitally important!

Well, Jack and I had a wonderful day yesterday.  We were invited to a Vet's Day celebration but we were mistaken on the time so instead of dinner from 5 to 9 we went for the lunch at 11.  Vets there said they came to have lunch together to avoid the crowds in the evening.  This was a very nice restaurant that we have visited several times but mother doesn't like! LOL  The restaurant was feating the vets in the evening but we enjoyed a lunch instead. 

We also went to Hastings.  This is a book and music store that is popular locally.  We had not been in so went on Monday.  The big soft couches and chairs, hot coffee, hot chocolate, etc. and time to puruse the books, magazines, and other offerings makes for great ambiance.  Jack didn't find the music he was looking for but I found two new  books by one of my favorite mystery writers "Stuart Woods".  Goodness I have read the books my daughter has sent me so long that I shudder at paying $10.00 for a paperback! Guess all of them are not that expensive.  I can read a book in a short time usually if the evening isn't too eventful.  Then I will send them to another friend that got me started on reading these mysteries.  He had all 30 some of his books so I read them straight through from the first to the latest and just can't wait till a new one comes out.

While we were out my mother fixed her own lunch.  She informed me that she was perfectly capable of taking care of herself.  I left her food all ready to pop into the microwave.  She fixed herself something totally different, which tells me to not worry so much about her.  She might not be able to hear, see, have no teeth to speak of,  and be somewhat forgetful at times, but when it some to her lunch she had it all together!

This morning I had a few tears over a small situation.  I was out potting some flowers because it is supposed to freeze and mother and I had talked at length about what we would do about these plants over the winter.  While I was doing this Jack had called me, needed me and I was not available.  I came in to find him somewhat disgruntled with me because I was 'busy with stupid flowers'.  I told him the flowers were my way of getting out of the house this morning because Mother had hurt my feelings.  He understood this and laughingly said why didn't I do like the rest of this community just let them freeze and get new ones next year.   And I replied yes like the farmers, when a piece of equipment broke down, they just left it where it was and bought something else.....................you can't believe the junk that is left just where it was dropped!

Mother needed her hair cut and didn't want to bother with going to the hairdressers.  So I cut it last night and she shampooed it this morning and it looked really great!   She said it was because She had a girl working for her that knew how to do hair!   It was supposed to be a compliment but sometimes I feel like  unpaid girl that works for her for sure!   See how easy I can get my feeling hurt when I should accept the compliment and just go on.  Will I ever learn?

Well this hired girl went after a doctor's prescription this morning, to the bank, to a tiny grocery store for barbeque, and now that lunch is over I can go get the prescriptions!   Peace in this country place!~~~~~~~~~~~

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the sound of your book store.  I could waste a few hours in there. Lolol@ your Mum, you have to smile......after, at the time it can raise a sigh.  Hope the frost leaves the flowers alone. Rache