Friday, November 17, 2006

HELLO OUT THERE!

To all our friends in California,  oh my do we miss you.  One of the things we lost was the companionship of friends.  We are so glad you still keep in touch but we miss our long visits and good times.

Another thing we gave up was the visits of the girls.  Jack's daughter and mine.  They didn't come so often but they were as close as the phone and would come if we needed them.    We left them in California.

We gave up so many of our possessions.  Jack gave away all of his musical equipment and much of his music.  It was like he was giving up his second career and his ability to perform for others.  He had not been able for a while but this erased it from his future also.  The girls and I told him that he would need new equipment anyway when he would be able to sing  and entertain again.

I have up the furnishings of my home, keeping only five items which were medical related pieces.  There were some items that I had shopped for and loved, the antiques, crystal, little keepsakes and just those things that represent a lifetime.   Little things you get used to using, baking pans, a certain wooden spoon, those kinds of things I do miss,slso.

We did bring some of our clothing, but when you don't have a place to put them, they stay secure in a cardbox in a storage barn!  I feel like I have no wardrobe except my jeans and one outfit which I wear to church or something special.

I do have some pictures, those were too special to leave.  Most of these I have already secured to the walls in our room and am getting ready to put up some more.  They seem to give us a feeling of belonging.

When you give up so much of your personal life and move 1200 miles then something has to shift.  A lot of shifting has been going on and this week there have been some down days.  Looking on the net for nervous breakdowns I was surprised to see they last short periods of time and sounded rather familiar.  I must be having these on a regular basis! LOL

This next paragraph just jumped in our of order but so what!

You have heard me refer to down days before and I always bounce back, but instead of getting stronger I am getting tougher!  And my language is peppered with some vocabulary that I didn't know I had stored in my brain.   Wow, maybe I will be come sweet and kind and thoughtful!  DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT! LOL

Jack had to give up his driver's license.  The doctor here refuses to give permission for him to have a legal  license in the State of Oklahoma.

We gave up the medical doctors and insurance we had there and had to purchase much more expensive insurance here and find new doctors,etc.

We gave up our home and became homeless.  We are actually "roomers" now when we examine the conditions we live under.  I am a live-in caregiver, housekeeper, laundress, hairdresser, gardener, driver, and personal business consultant and secretary.  I have some job security however! LOL

In "Marigold Country Home"--let there be Peace!

 

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You expressed this all so well. Caregiving is so like a journey.
Patrick

Anonymous said...

You made me think what I'd miss if I had to do the same........sometimes you have to follow what inside is telling you, and you and Jack do it with beautiful style. Rache