Thursday, June 10, 2010

Those six orphans!

One evening a young man came to my door and asked for help. He had found six kittens and a mother that had died not too recently. He lives in our town but isn't home much and he said he just could not let them starve and die. WHAT SHOULD HE DO? I suggested several options but not seemed to be available so you know what I said.......go get them. He brought them in a big box and they ended up in my bathroom. I got them to drink a little warm milk then took them to the garage and put them in my van.......still in the box. I planned to sleep not listen to kittens mewing. I carried those kittens around a couple of days because I was not sure what my old cat that lives in the garage would do..........I had often seen him hostile toward other cats.

I finallly gave up..........got another box about the same size and cut connecting openings and taped them together with grey tape. Covered the top with window screens that I seemed to have from somewhere, put them in the middle of the garage and covered them on cool nights. When it got hot the ceiling fans blew overhead. Well I lost two not because they were cared for but they were just too small and had gone too long without food. I was feeding one with an eyedropper. The absolutely amazing thing was they all except the little one went to canned cat food like crazy! I was thankful for that. Finally after about 5 or 6 weeks they were outgrowing the boxes and I had to made a decision.

They went to the barn and I fixed a new box with screens and a big pedestal fan right over the top. So far they are doing great. The box is just for security if some other cat comes to bother or another creature. It has a little opening cut in the side and watching them someout into the world for the first time was a neat experience. I found three other orphans and two of those survived making 6 furry creatures. They have the whole barn. They have discovered the automatic feeders with meow mix already there, pans of water and 9 litter boxes. This is what you call a deluxe hotel for cats!!!! They seem to think I am their mother and want to play when I go out to feed them. So far they are quite tame and will make someone a great playmate. I gave them a flea treatment. We seem to have a lot of tiny flea like things that are really bothering the cats and me after I have been to the barn. Is theysomething called grass fleas! Cable people are here........must sign off.

No comments: