Friday, December 28, 2007

A new year approaches..............

We just didn't "do" Christmas this year!  I fully intended to send Christmas Cards but each time I picked up the address book and box of cards I came to a full stop.   A number of fears and misgivings kept me from writing names on the cards. 

Earlier I had asked friends and relatives that we exchange gifts with to just not "exchange" this year.  Without time to shop and think about others' needs and wants........it put pressure where only good times should be.  Interesting enough everyone seemed to agree and I enjoyed the relief. 

There is always one who just has to give a bag of gifts and  this was someone new that was just intent in putting some cheer in our lives.  But I won't be drawn into an exchange next year.

Even our kids honored our wishes.  My daughter said it felt funny not to shop and send things but she said it was a relief not to have the pressure of buying packaging and getting things in the mail.  She did a magazine thing and said we could all enjoy those together.  We put wallpaper in their wallets and that always cheered the kids.

Dinner was very simple and I did do Christmas things for Mom.  A new top, getting her car fixed so she would be comfortable riding in that vehicle.  Some new nail polish....but no big things.  And for Jack and I there was nothing.  She didn't remember the girls and didn't seem to mind that she was not gifting other people that she usually gave Christmas checks to.  Actually she had to be constantly reminded it was the Christmas season.

We had a first at our little community church.  A Christmas Eve service early in the evening and the decorations and candles made it very festive as well as  serious.  Mom wanted to go and she enjoyed the beautiful lights.  She didn't understand that it was different in many ways that a regular church service but enjoyable.  She can't see or hear well and seldom sings during a church service, but she sang  "Silent Night" all the way through.  A lovely memory to hold dear.

Jack and I haven't exchanged gifts for several years, if I express a desire for something he usually manages to arrange for that item to appear.  One year I wanted pearl earrings and that  year his daughter shopped and sent them to him to give to me.  My daughter had given me pearls for my birthday and I wanted earrings to match.

This year he wanted a sweater vest to wear when he was cold or needed more when he went out, tho it arrived a bit early, we found one he liked.  Keeping Christmas simple has been such a help to me.  And not going to the extremes with decorations and wrappings has  certainly cut down on our trash output! LOL

A young man asked me what I got for Christmas and when I said,"oh, nothing." he was quite taken aback....why and I said there wasn't anything I wanted but some black crocs.  He thought that was funny and said he wanted lots of  STUFF.  I think that is the realm of the youth.  Most adults are not in that mode.  Somewhere this whole thing has gotten out of control and the merchandising industry has capitalized on our inability to say no.

I hope I have started a "new tradition" for our family and friends.  Give Christmas all year long in kindness and caring, small rememberances when they count, and the knowledge that love is the choice gift of the season.

Happy New Year and plan something interesting.  Jack and I have a bottle of apple cider and a cheese roll and crackers.  And maybe I will send some letters to people that I didn't send cards to.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you for this entry i agree with you 100 percent:) have a Happy New Year

Deb

Anonymous said...

I think the young are as we were when young, wide eyed on the wanting, short on the needing, but it's nice to give if you can, sometimes the words are few it's the thought that has to speak. Christmas can be stressful and I like the way you and Jack give to each other through the year whatever is needed.  I think that's so wonderful and not done often enough. Rache

Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry..
Alot of us could learn a thing or two in reading it...I know i did....
for the first time this year we didn't exchange gifts at moms either...we just bought for the kids....really just being with family is the main thing...and remembering the real reason for the season....I do love to give to people if i can, this year the money we would have spent on gifts for my mom and stepdad we took 2 bells off the Angel tree at work and bought gifts for 2 needy children...a one year old and three year old little boy....it felt so good in doing so too!

Awww, I bet your mom singing silent night was just precious...something to remember for all time!

Hugs
Terri