Saturday, September 11, 2010

The Notebook............

Well, I just finished Nicholas Sparks's The Notebook..............please do yourself a favor, and read it if you feel strong enough. It is a beautiful love story that is rare indeed but it is the story of what diseae and age does to the body and relationships. I thought it would be a short read but could not read very long at a time especially at the end. I actually feel better having read the book. I feel I am better equipted to say Good-by when the time comes.

There are times when one reflects on life and the road never traveled that lays ahead. Younger family members should read this book as a manual in dealing with aging and the aging relatives. Although fiction one feels that this book is probably more based on true facts that textbooks on a medical shelf.

Those of you who haven't thought about it.............it is time to write a notebook yourself on your youth. I was telling my daughter something about where I had lived as a child and she commented that she didn't know that.........and I realized somethings will become dust and gone if not recorded for our families to enjoy on a stormy evening in front of a real wood burning fire............not a fake fire in a fake fireplace.

Planted some new iris plants today........different colors.........filling in the enply places in the flowerbed and hoping for some bright colors. Mentioned I was going to an Iris Sale and my daughter discovered a whole new part of my life.

It is hard for my to imagine the generation who does not know how to hang clothes on clothesline. We have elected to keep the traditional and antique..hee hee clothesline in our backyard......things do smell wonderful after hanging on the line. And when the dryer dies there is always an option.

Jack is having some bad days.....I go but leave the nursing to the professionals. I am learning when I am actually better now at letting someone else take care of Jack. I am the visitor, the comfortor, the loving spouse, and they are the caregivers. (But I am the one watching and reminding and asking for.........still caregiving! lol)

No comments: