Thursday, November 13, 2008

Leaves...............

The breeze carries them across the lawn and dumps them in all the wrong places. I try to gather as many as possible to mulch and cover the plants that are threatened by the coming cold weather.

However, the leaves are much more interesting to the cats--to chase--roll in--and help me rake. I can't help but laugh at the antics and feel the thrill of the coming fall season........the crispness in the air and the scuttling clouds are harbringers of the season.

We have been looking for people who need or would appreciate food baskets for the coming holidays. We thought we had a town that was pretty well taken care of until we began to ask questions. It was easy to find people then. They are so proud that some won't admit that they need help. Our real problem was we didn't know our town's people very well. A neighbor and I drove around talking about different houses and who lived where and who might need a basket.

I finally took the matter in hand and went to visit a couple and when they opened the door I laughed and said I had come for lunch.....she looked startled and said......a cookie? Yep, that was lunch--coffee and a cookie. I chatted a while and then said I didn't want to embarass them but could they use a food basket? "Oooooh yes!" was the reply. I was so saddened that we had waited until the holidays to determine if our neighbors needed help. It occured to me that it is 2 weeks till Thanksgiving....guess they can eat those stale cookies till then.....I have way too much to eat... and my neighbor has way too little. How ashamed I am.

How well do you know your neighbor?

2 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

My immediate neighbors are the hi - bye wave type. I usually volunteer around the holidays especially (quite a bit through the year in actuality) for an SOS woman's shelter. We make up boxes of food with a Turkey to give to woman who are just starting out on their own, or with children. It helps give them courage they have a Thanksgiving meal and don't need to return to an abuse ex at least for that holiday...

I wish more people cared and stretched their hand out to help someone. The world would cry a lot less at night. (Hugs)Indigo

Unknown said...

Personally I would find a cookie for lunch the cat's meow! Though I understand your point and applause applause!! Hopefully you include some cookies in those food baskets.

As to how well do I know my neighbor? Well to put it nicely, he's an a#@hole! NO cookies for him!

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/