Monday, August 11, 2008

What does it mean to be homeless?

I have laughingly said many times that Jack and I are homeless.  In reality we are.  This is mother's house.  We live here we make improvements and repairs and pay for them ourselves.  But some things are never open for change.

We have in the past had guests that were sent to bed by my mother.  Some she had openly refused to visit with.  And some she did not want us to invite to the house.  This is not our home.........we did not have many options.

She did not like some of the music Jack played.  She definately had likes and dislikes and perferred the music to television.  And although we paid the  utility bill covering the television she complained that it was on all the time.  This was not our home....sometimes it is uncomfortable to go against the grain and often compromise is not an option.

We painted our room and she said it certainly didn't need paint, we were wasting time and money,etc.  This is not our home and her vision capabilities often didn't make her fully aware of the need for paint. 

We needed to move furniture to help Jack have access to the rest of the house.  She did not like the idea but approved after we went ahead and did it anyway.  Sometimes it was hard to be as stubborn as she was! LOL

We liked certain foods.  She did not like to go out and she perferred other foods.   I found I was sometimes cooking several extra meals a day to make everyone comfortable and happy.   Again this was not our home.

The  biggest issue was privacy.  Although there was a door separating our room from the rest of the house, it seemed rude to close that door.   If we were bathing, I had to always go and tell her we were bathing and we needed the door closed for privacy.  Often at night she would come into our room and wake us or sit  awhile.   I would awake to find her bending over me asking me why wasn't I getting up...hee hee (always in the middle of the night) or she would just start talking and wake both of us.  This in truth was not our home.

My daughter and I have talked about her sharing the house with us and we laughed about all the problems that could occur even though we are all family.   And again, how would she feel, it isn't her home either!

Peace!

No comments: