Monday, January 12, 2009

why visit the handicapped/NOT without a call first

Too often the doorbell rings or some knocks and the patient is in the middle of a bath or isn't feeling very well. For a while I used signs on the door and still do but people who just drop in have to realize some of these times are not good times.

The caregiver has to balance hospitality against patient welfare and at times this is difficult. I just love it when someone says," just go ahead with what you are doing I will set here and talk to you. Sure I am doing medications for the week and making mistakes are not the best for the patient. I always check each day to be sure the medications are correct. But it is inconvenient to always go get the med bag and redo a days medications.

"Just go ahead with what you are doing".... giving the patient a bath? No it isn't possible. We need space and sometimes we need things from the room where you are sitting and opening doors reduces privacy for the patient.

" Just go ahead with what you are doing", fixing the meal for the patient and his eating in front of you isn't always pleasant. Sometimes there are spills or other mishaps that are embarrassing. Besides I like to sit down and eat or have coffee with Jack when he is eating.

" Just go ahead with what you are doing." Taking a nap that you just woke me up from so I can be more alert tonight. Now I won't be able to finish the nap and the patient might have a cranky caregiver when awakened in the night! LOL

" Just go ahead with what you are doing". Well we were getting ready to go to the doctor and your sitting here talking to us makes the check list of things NOT to forget a little less effective. Besides we take about 10 minutes to finish up things and get into the car.... you are sitting in the way and I hate to say please leave so we can because we are on a tight schedule.

Is this only at our house? Sunday mornings are getting hectic. We have a drop in guest most Sundays who come for coffee and chat. This means I have to rush to get the house ready.. the coffee on... myself dressed for church.... Jack ready for the day....etc. Jack sometimes has a drop in guest that sits with him while I go to church, I need the coffee fresh and ready and something like coffee cake ready.

If people would just call ahead and ask how Jack is feeling and if it is convenient for them to drop by for coffee and chat.... I would be thrilled and I would seldom say no but I do wish people would respect our lifestyle. It is different from theirs and one day they may have the same frustrations.

3 comments:

Sage Ravenwood said...

You bring up so many valid points. I wish more people would give that courtesy. It's simple enough to do and considerate of you and Jack. (Hugs)Indigo

Dr.Rutledge said...

Hi Sarahsue,

I'm an academic physician (formerly at Harvard and Stanford) who found your blog while looking for the best health writers. I think your writing is great! I would like to feature you in the Caregiving Community on Wellsphere, a top 10 health website that has well over 2 million visitors monthly.

If you would like to learn more, just drop me an email to Dr.Rutledge@wellsphere.com

Unknown said...

Amen! Amen! It may as well be parallel universes and the caregiver is the only one who speaks both languages. We all want well intended visitors and friends but how to best help them to involve themselves can be frustrating.

Caregivingly Yours, Patrick
http://caregivinglyyours.blogspot.com/